Sunday, February 14, 2010

You're My Picture On the Wall

All right. I'm back. I didn't see much this past week and had an unusually eventful Superbowl Sunday at the end of the last week. I think I slept half the afternoon. Here's the last two weeks, then, on this Valentine's evening.









2/2 Whatever Works (2009) DVD, 3/5 stars, RT: 47%
Oh, Woody Allen. You've finally left me feelingly slightly confused. You too, Larry David. And you're both in New York again. What went wrong? I think I might not have been ready for the lack of concern any of the characters have with the absurdity that transpires. Characters transform and the viewer is given no warning. Everything works out in the end, of course, and there's a lot of good laughs. If I hadn't expected something (I honestly don't know what, exactly) from Allen and David, I don't think I would have been so down on this movie by the end of it. There's just tons of better material out there from both of these genius writers.










2/2 Rebecca (1940) DVD, 5/5 stars, RT: 100%
A classic disturbing love story told through the eyes of the master of suspense. There's really nothing else you'd need to know to watch this. It's a masterpiece. I felt that Joan Fontaine might be overacting a bit, especially with today's more evolved standards, but she's still the star here. Laurence Olivier is also great, as one would expect, but he doesn't take as much screen time. His emotive reactions to his poor wife's attempts to love him are perfectly jagged. I cringed at every little mistake she made and how it affected him. I've not read Daphne du Maurier's novel so I can't comment on any plot inconsitencies, but it is stricking how well this fits in with the Alfred Hitchcock pantheon with its twists and flawed characters. I'm not saying anything new here, but I'm really in love with this movie.









2/3 You, the Living (2007) Netflix Watch Instantly, 1/5 stars, RT: 100%
I forget why this movie was added to my queue at all. When it's something I've never heard of it usually means it's been recommended by a friend or other trusted source. It's a newish release and recently added to Netflix's Watch Instantly program, and I found myself watching it. You, the Living is a critically adored Swedish film that is achingly gloomy. The plot involves a set characters with individual stories that are loosely tied together. The point of the movie is to make you understand how shitty life can be, I guess? And it's supposed to be ironic, but I mostly just wanted to be done with it the entire time. All of the characters are disgusting in a pathetic way, you're supposed to feel sorry for them but I couldn't help being elitist towards their insecurity, which made me feel even worse for being such a dick. I couldn't feel empathy at all for them and thus became bored. Goethe's poems are an inspiration for the vignettes and I could see the obvious Sturm und Drang yet I just wasn't interested. Most scenes have a fixed camera that only rarely moves, so each scene is usually just one extended take. I've always enjoyed this, it's just a shame that it had to be tied up in a movie which I didn't care for.









2/4 The English Patient (1996) Netflix Watch Instantly, 5/5 stars, RT: 84%
I have vague memories of my childhood when this movie was causing a buzz. I know it was the butt of jokes and has been seen as the ultimate modern Hollywood movie for melodrama. I can see why this is. And knowing this for so long I should have seen it much sooner. I avoided any other details about the movie, which is lucky, and saw this unspoiled. Every role is acted just how I would want it, and the ending is predictable, but I was really surprised at the layering of subplots between the two main settings. I have a love/hate relationship with the work of Anthony Minghella, but this squarely lands on the love side. Since watching I've learned that there's been some critical controversy over the actions of some of the characters with claims that they're much too selfish to be relateable. They do hurt other people that don't deserve the pain, but don't we all?









2/5 New York, I Love You (2009) Netflix Watch Instantly, 3/5 stars, RT: 40%
The next in what looks to become a series of City Name, I Love You. Paris, Je T'aime was such a wonderful collection of short love stories produced by some of my favorite auteurs. New York, I Love You has no one I'm familar with in the directing roles (except Brett Ratner, eww) and slightly lower tier actors (Bradley Cooper, Hayden Christensen, Shia LeBeouf, Orlando Bloom). The story with Bloom and one story with an aged couple (the only one seemingly not set in Manhattan) are the only ones I can claim to have really enjoyed. Unfortunately the movie does little to explore the city and focuses a lot on yuppies smoking outside of bars. New York has so much more to offer. It's over quickly, though, and was worth watching despite nothing special of note.









2/5 Role Models (2008) DVD, 4/5 stars, RT: 76%
This is another Judd Apatow style comedy (this one directed by Dain Wain) with a recongizeable cast. It doesn't overly offend and is pretty safe all around. You know the pattern the movie's going to have: individuals get thrust into a slightly shitty situation that turns out to be slightly awesome, friendships are tested, loyalty saves the day. Throw in hundreds of great jokes and quick dialogue and you're set. Jane Lynch and Bobb'e J. Thompson are the real stars, though Sean William Scott was also endearing (more so than Paul Rudd's character, interestingly). You're not missing anything profound by not seeing it, but it's entertainment to time wasted ratio is worth it if you've exhausted other classic comedies.









2/12 Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001) Netflix Watch Instantly, 4/5 stars, RT: 93%
Wow. The synposis for this movie is pretty unbelievable. I'm feeling lazy enough right now that I'm not even going to attempt to do it justice. The basics: Transexual punk rocker Hedwig's life is pretty shitty. The plot meanders, as is the case with musicals. Hedwig herself is completely compelling because she is a total rock star. The music is wistfully in tune with the 70's pop rock that the main character grew up listening to in East Berlin. The conclusion is a fake out of sorts, but felt worthy enough to me. Hedwig is just fun.









2/13 Adventureland (2009) DVD, 5/5 stars, RT: 88%
Another recent favorite of mine that I've given another viewing. I don't often do this unless I'm sharing my passion with others, which was the case here. This is my third viewing of the movie though, and I had fears that it would start to appear dull to me. I got slight premonitions of such, but I'm still going to keep a small place in my heart for this overlooked and misintereprated movie. I'm glad that the audience of friends I shared this with seemed to like it. When I first saw Adventureland I felt really strange about it. It's surprising how heartfelt it is. I couldn't help but love it. I used more hyperbole than usual when I first explained it to friends, and though I can be more critical now, I'm still glad my enthusiasm convinced many of them to see it and that I was able to share it with more friends this weekend. It's always worth multiple viewing for the great music alone, anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment