Sunday, January 24, 2010

And the Hits Just Keep On Coming

It's not been a great week. Mr. O'Brien pleaded that us young folks shouldn't be cynical and I'm trying my best! Honestly, there's only one thing I'm worried about. It concerns one person and he knows who he is. I hope you get better, my friend.

For now, onward with the healing powers of scheduled lists.










1/18 Medicine for Melancholy (2008) DVD, 4/5 stars, RT: 88%
I have a soft spot for small movies that deal with the entwined lives of a pair of lovers. Okay, it's trite for me to say I have a soft spot for any sort of movie, since doing this entire thing proves that I have a soft spot for almost all movies. It's true though. I can almost nail down when I first became slightly unhinged for the world of film: Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise. I bring this up because both of these movies are very similar in their take on new romance. The focus is still only on two characters but in the case of Medicine for Melancholy it's the attempts of the characters to come to terms with their one night stand rather than the evolution of a slowly budding relationship. The film itself is art here, low saturated and beautiful. I can't get enough of it. Let it be said that the acting by both leads is not only great, it's almost the only other reason to watch the film. They make up for some slightly stilted writing, though I do like that the film dealt with real people (skeletons in closets included). The prime reason I wanted to see this film was Wyatt Cynac, hilarious comedian-correspondent on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, but I actually found his character less likable than Tracy Heggins' role. This isn't his fault, he plays a fairly needy egomaniac. Heggins' character Jo is more levelheaded, but she's also betraying a boyfriend by spending time with the character of Micah. Neither of them are angels. I've come to learn a lot about San Fransisco lately, and if there's a third character here it's the city. You don't see a ton of it, and it's filtered through the eyes of minority characters. Though they're both middle class, Micah has a huge problem with race in the city. In the end, this is what makes the relationship both real and a disaster, and left me feeling slightly lost emotionally. My final thoughts about my experience with the film, the city, and the characters can be summed up by Micah's most important line: "Nah, I love the city. I hate the city but I love the city. San Fransisco is beautiful, but you shouldn't have to be upper-middle class to be a part of that."










1/20 Joint Security Area (2000) DVD, 5/5 stars, RT: 75%
JSA is a Korean drama directed by horror/vengeance god Park Chan-wook about both South and North Korean soldiers stationed at guard houses on either side of the DMZ, specifically at the neutral Joint Security Area. This is where most negations and relations happen between the two countries. Though not completely accurate to the conditions at the DMZ, and slightly dated now because of all the more recent uproar over North Korea's missiles and human rights violations, this movie is still completely relevant. If it wasn't for the specifics, you could set this movie at any militarily contested zone in the world and I'm sure the point that the filmmakers seem to want to convey would still hold up. This movie doesn't really choose sides, since it's almost completely a soldier's story. It's a backwards telling of a horrible shooting and international event that could lead to war, but also the lengths people will go to make friends instead of enemies. Sadly, these same good intentions only lead to tragedy and hatred because of the system the soldiers live in. It's all very powerful and though it might not be on the artistic level of a Schindler's List or Paths of Glory it most certainly has just as much to say as these other similar films about the role of the underprivileged and their pathos in dealing with ensnarement in a fate so out of their hands. It's also more entertaining as a mystery story since it's told through the device of a police procedural type investigation. I'm completely on board for whatever Park Chan-wook does in the future with any genre he wants.










1/23 In the Loop (2009) DVD, 5/5 stars, RT: 93%
High praise for this one. I'm prone to high praise, but I really mean it this time! This movie is hilarious. It doesn't hurt to be a political junkie, but it also appeals anyone that enjoys a creative curse or mass confusion. I've heard this movie compared to Dr. Strangelove but I'd place it more accurately with the recent Burn After Reading. Everyone's an idiot of some sort, and not one single person has even the slightest clue as to what anyone else is doing. The dramatic weight of the entire farce is the relations between the United States and the United Kingdom as they dance around the issue of going to war in the Middle East. In the Loop is completely fictional but obviously inspired by the preceding of the current Iraqi War and one feels, sadly, that the actual pre-war planning was filled with just as much self-serving politics and bumbling idiocy as the movie portrays. Don't let that stop you from having a grand ole time, though. I really want to watch this again because the dialogue is so rapid and I'm positive I'll find something brilliant and new on a second viewing. I'll gush about this movie on command. Or without any prompting. Beware.










1/25 Anvil: The Story of Anvil (2008) DVD, 5/5 stars, RT: 98%
This was a documentary I watched mostly based on a recommendation by my friend Matt. I've read good things but I'm personally not really into metal music, and stories of washed up old rockers never makes me feel that great. These guys aren't washed up. The movie portrays them as honest and lovable down-on-their-luck-but-still-aiming-high dudes. Almost your average Joe the Rocker, but they're hardly normal and their lives are tragic. For me a lot of the heart of movie is that these people are nice guys. They're neurotic, yeah. You'd expect that as 50-year old heavy metal rockers, but they're not at all bad at what they do. There are a lot of stories about bad luck and fate that I've seen lately (hey, the human condition is good material), but this one is real and full of soul. They're pressed down by their luck, but they're still mostly happy people ready to share their joy. I was not prepared at all for how this was going to stick with me for the rest of the day.


Well, what to say at the end of a strange week? It wasn't all bad! I saw a couple of friends that I hadn't seen in some time. I ate some great food. I've come to realize the addictive joy I get out of movies in bad times. Times aren't terrible now, for sure, and having distractions has a lot to do with that. I'm not going to complain. I'm just grateful for the stuff that doesn't stink, I guess. That's not to say I'd be totally okay with more garbage in the future!

One last small note before I head off to bed. My other shameful monkey on the back will be rearing its head next week. The epic RPG video game Mass Effect 2 comes out. I'll remember to shower and eat, cross my heart. Expect less time for movies, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment